Tuesday 28 January 2020

Chilean Chicken Empanadas & Pineapple Salsa

Last Spring when I was in Chile, I had empanadas for the first time and they were delicious!  So this week when we were hosting a wine tasting, I thought I would try to make authentic Chilean empanadas to go with our wine from Chile!  I guess they were a success as I was asked to put the recipe on my blog, so here goes!  For the dough you mix 3 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt and then add 1 stick of butter until crumbly.  You can use a pastry blender or as I do, freeze the butter and then grate into flour mix. Measure 1/2 cup milk (add 1 beaten egg to the milk) Mix gradually into the flour until smooth.  You will need to knead the dough with your hands until it becomes smooth and elastic! Shape into 2 rectangles, wrap in saran and put into refrigerator.  For the filling,  poach 3/4 lbs. of boneless chicken breast in chicken boullion and a bay leaf until cooked (about 30 minutes)  Shred cooled chicken and mix with 3 tbsp. of saved boullion, sautéed 1 cup of chopped onions mixed with a tbsp. of chili powder or to taste, and a 1/4 cup of chopped green olives.  chill for at least 2 hours before making empanadas!  To assemble roll the dough into golf ball size balls. Place each ball on lightly floured surface and roll until you get an approximately 4 inch circle.  Place 1 tbsp. of chicken in centre of circle, if you choose, add 1 tsp. of grated cheese, wet edge with beaten egg that you have added 1 tbsp.of water, then seal edges and crimp with your fingers.  Put completed empanadas on a parchment lined cookie sheet and brush lightly with beaten egg mixture.  Bake in 400 degree oven for 20 minutes!!  For the pineapple salsa mix 2 cups diced fresh pineapple with 1 cup diced tomatoes, 1 cup diced red onion, 1/2 cup diced green pepper, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro and mix with the juice of 2 limes!!  I know it may sound challenging, but well worth the try!  I took me back to the day I was eating empanadas and drinking wine on the roadside in Chile, enjoying the view!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment

Mustard Crusted Salmon paired with Cave Springs Chardonnay

As part of the cool climate chardonnay collection of recipes I decided to try Chefs Steve & Jaqueline Del Col"s mustard crusted sal...