Thursday 4 May 2017

My Favourite Crusty Bread Recipe

I first heard about this method of making bread at a cooking class at Relish.  There are many variations of this recipe, but this is my favourite.  It is so easy to make that I make it weekly!!
This bread is light and airy on the inside with an amazing crust on the outside.  I prefer half whole wheat flour and half white flour, but you can use any combination that you prefer!  In a medium size bowl combine 3 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. instant granular yeast, 11/2 tsp coarse salt....mix well, add 11/2 cups room temperature water...cover with saran and leave for 10 to 16 hours or overnight. This mixture will double in size and be very bubbly.  Preheat your oven to 450 degrees and place your baking pot is the oven to heat as well.  I use a 6 quart enamelled pot with a lid.  Cut out a square of parchment paper that will fit in your pot and dump your yeast mixture into the middle....no kneading necessary.  Place the parchment paper with dough into the pot and cover with the lid.  Bake for 30 min. with the lid on and then take the lid off for 15 min. I guarantee that it will be the best bread you ever tasted!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mustard Crusted Salmon paired with Cave Springs Chardonnay

As part of the cool climate chardonnay collection of recipes I decided to try Chefs Steve & Jaqueline Del Col"s mustard crusted sal...